Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fancy Dancing

I went ahead and rented, "The Business of Fancydancing" before class today. I wanted to watch it first and not feel rushed as I often do in our class when watching films. I feel I need to dive right in to the critique, however.
  I think the movie was good for the most part. Evans is a fantastic actor, the story was well told and I found myself laughing out loud in many parts. The one part that I felt was ill handled was the homosexual aspect. The story itself is about a homosexual Indian poet, yet I felt that the film after a while tended to emphasize more on that aspect than the story seemed to really need. By that, I felt that the director and producers were more interested in making a gay film than they were about telling Sydney's story. While the story does center around Sydney's poetry and how gay life influences it, I think the director was more interested in showing more of the sex aspect than was necessary. We find this a lot in many heterosexual films as well. You only have to pop in any rom-com DVD to find that out.
  My main point here is that Alexie's poetry is astounding. I felt that the director did fantastic in translating the poetry aspects in to the film. In fact he excelled at this. It was the non-poetry, and the in-between portions that I thought lacked cohesion. If felt like a fine cabinet with all the boards cut perfectly, but no nails to assemble it with. Not even a cameo by Alexie could save this aspect.
    That being said, I am going to watch it again in class and carefully pick it apart this time and look forward to listening to other comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment