Thursday, March 15, 2012

We've walked far and seen much.



Today in class the question was put forth by Dr. Hobby, "What have you learned so far?" A simple enough question but one full of complexity when it comes to the writings and films we have viewed in this class. I'd like to be able to nail it down to one thing such as, "I learned that there are written texts by Indians and they are good." Or maybe, "Hey there are funny and raunchy stories in Indian folktales." I honestly cannot tack this whole course on just one thing, one concept that will define Indian literature. 
     That being said, I can admit to learning dozens of things. I can also admit that many of my preconceived notions and prejudices have been shaken and removed. I learned that if I set aside these constructs of human nature, mainly, race, education, progress, that my mind can open and more readily help me to understand American Indian culture.
     The most helpful author so far in this venture has been Sherman Alexie. I was brought up watching westerns on TV and at the movies and they were my whole viewpoint on how Indians were supposed to be. Warbonnets, bow and arrow, half-naked fire dancing, these were my experience. Who knew they had a language that could be put down on paper? Why would I even care; they're savages, right? Alexie brought for me a modern sense of humanity about American Indians. A connection of people to people, heart to heart. I caught myself saying, "Hey, that happened to me." or "Wow, that is totally a reservation thing and I have no reference to understand it,".  His poetry, stories and website are full of not stories, but life. Just life. I can see myself easily being friends with him and his people. I can also see myself in deep meaningful debate with some of his ideas. But that's what friends do.
     People become friends because they have a shared experience. Whether it's school, church, family or even something traumatic, people need  connections. When it comes to a connection with the American Indian our connection is unfortunately the tragic. One can only hope that we could use this connection in a positive manner. Set aside the guilt, the horror and just be people, just be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment