Monday, January 16, 2012

The night chant

I usually find things of this nature, simplistic to say the least. I am guilty like most whites, or as I like to be called, Appalachian American, of putting my modern views and revisionist theories on this kind of poetry. I'm a literature major and that makes me dangerous when reading things of this kind.  I look for meter, tone, meaning, "what is the author telling us". I find that when I do that, I come away with a handful of crap. So, I sat and read the chant as a poem, then as a song, then  I just read it. Simply read it aloud. I placed no meaning other than just simple respect of beauty, no faith but simple love of the creator. It is a beautiful peace. The one thing that saddens me is that I still have a lot of filters that keep me from feeling the full effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment